Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Onomatopoeia


Lately I've been heavily contemplating the ideology of love. How much it comes and goes, and takes on so many faces. How it's so complex, but often unfairly simplified.



I wish love were a harder word to say, like "antidisestablishmentarianism" or "onomatopoeia"...instead it's almost easier to say "I love you" than it is to sneeze or fart. And so, people use it so often, and so freely...sometimes forgetting that the confession of love can sometimes and easily be a lie, even if by accident.  

Click HERE to continue...



How do I know he loves me? Without seeing his eyes squint as his lips press the words out....without feeling an embrace afterwards as reinforcement. Personally I know it's real by the "stuff" around it. The words before and after, the actions prefacing and proceeding. Saying the phrase alone is as valuable as proclaiming that you're about to jump. Saying the word "love" is the announcement of action, "I am going to love you now" but not the action in itself.


At the end of the day "love" is just a sound we make. And like any other sound in the world, it's as dependant on it's instrument as it is it's interpretation.

5 comments:

Alison (a girl in her element) said...

Yes! I couldn't have said it better myself. Ironically enough I was just having a conversation with someone about this. The words, including "love," don't mean a thing if all the actions prove the opposite.

Nothing Profound said...

The word "love" doesn't change, but love changes. Sometimes I think the whole problem lies there. The words and the actions no longer match up, that is if they ever did..

okaygokid said...

Love has a morbidly awkward sense of timing, wholely seperate from anything resembling my preferred reality. In my early years, I mastered the art of making it leave, but not-so-much with the making it come. Working on the staying "in-love" bit, which is quite a bit easier, because I don't have to try.

timethief said...

Your right about how frequently people say "I love you". In my book love is an action word and when all one hears is the verbal delivery that isn't accompanied by loving acts it means diddly squat. Love can be expressed in many little ways that mean lots. It can be expressed by doing your share of the work around the house and yard. It can be expressed by picking up a favorite restaurant/fast-food dish on the way home from work as a surprise, doing a special job around the house that your partner usually does, leaving each other little presents and notes in unexpected places, going on dates and walks together, and complementing one another in front of other people too.

Chaotically Calm said...

Love without action is just another four letter word with no meaning...but it's so easy to get swept up in what the word implies that we sometimes forget that the actions need to follow. And you're absolutely right maybe if it were harder to say we'd give it more thought before jumping in with reckless abandon for ourselves or the other person's feelings.