Friday, May 8, 2009

Pearland, TX, USA

This is Pearland, TX. I live an exit away from the the above 6 President Heads. I venture into Pearland to get groceries and other needed supplies. I haven't seen a corner store in over two months.

At night I hear nothing but the occasional bird or dog bark. Every day during the week I leave my house, sit in traffic for 45 minutes, listening to family-safe talk radio. I go to work for 8 hours, a position that doesn't stimulate me in the least bit, although I am grateful to have work at all these days, and drive home in the same 45 minute traffic. As we make our way from the freeway exit to our garage the only variation is that occasionally we stop and pick up our mail. D waves to whatever neighbors are outside at the time, something I find to be pointless and annoying. If everyone was so interested in getting to know each other, we would actually KNOW each other.... We pull into the garage, and the rest of my day is so predictable that I sometimes forget what day of the week it is. Weekends include less traffic, different clothes and more food.

I'm not going to pretend that I like Pearland, TX. I don't compare it at all to Central Houston, which actually has life and goings on. Pearland, TX is the most boring place I've ever lived in my life...and I once lived in Merrietta, OH. This place should come with a disclaimer.

WARNING: In exchange for a low mortgage and a back yard, emotional and economic fees include but are not limited to; lack of stimulation, decrease in sexual urges, higher risk of living next door to a serial killer, lack of cityscape, roaches the size of house cats, overly friendly neighbors, and the unrested desire to hang or be hung from the shower head.

1 comments:

M. said...

It sounded so great. But a feeling is a feeling. I want to say let it grow on you and if you still feel the same in six months...but it's been a while, hasn't it?

Sounds like you need to hit the Houston art scene, or restaurant scene or something. Where you were life came at you, now you've got to turn it around, go at life.

Or improve your persuasion skills.