Friday, November 14, 2008

Kanye West....WTF?!

Not to take anything away from Mr. West here... I mean he IS an amazing artist. His energy is high, releasing an album every year since 2004 and producing countless singles and albums for other artists since 2001; and his music is far from ordinary. He takes hip hop to another level and much like Jay-Z, Pharrell Williams (of N.E.R.D.) and Mos Def (my personal fave) he has raised the bar for urban music to a level that few can reach. Having said THAT....

...WTF, Kanye??

After his win at the MTV EMA's (European Music Awards) this past week , West was quoted saying, "I won nothing last year and I'd brought out Stronger. Then this year, just because I was there, I won best urban act. This was Lil Wayne's year." But the gush of appreciation didn't end there...he went on to say, "Britney Spears over Rihanna? Are you serious? I mean fucking Jared Leto? He's my boy but he shouldn't have won over some of those other artists."

Well, I'll admit that Jared Leto might be far from America's favorite list of artists and I'm DEFINITELY not a fan of the whole "blood bath" scenario at 30 Seconds to Mars' concerts; but they're concepts are one of a kind, the music is sincere and their videos are something to take note of, not to mention it's EUROPEAN music awards, and their taste is usually far different that that of the US. As far as Britney over Rihanna is concerned...I can't argue, that was an entirely unfounded choice and obviously a corporate decision given her embarrassingly wobbly (and by wobbly I mean the 'fat-jiggle') performance she gave at the VMA's last year. Kanye should be thankful he got an award and graciously accept. Shut up, count your millions and stop complaining about all the love your getting that you probably deserved last year; better late than never.

BUT....it doesn't stop there, folks.

West was also quoted as saying, ‘‘I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice... It’s me settling into that position of just really accepting that it’s one thing to say you want to do it and it’s another thing to really end up being like Michael Jordan.’’

So how does Kanye get this honor of being dubbed "the voice of this generation"? A Michael Jordan reference? Was their a 1/8 of a lifetime achievement award he received that I've somehow missed?? He undoubtedly is a large influence in hip hop music today, but lets not forget that the world does not revolve around hip hop music. He's not an actor, a painter, an activist, a diplomat or anything much more than an, albeit amazing, producer and lyricist. Although his music touches people of all preferences, it's still soundly considered Urban Hip Hop. Being "the voice" of a generation, at least in my humble opinion requires more than just that. I mean, he's really dumbing down the potential of this generation by naming himself the King.

With all of the musical influences of the past decade, Kanye has definitely ruled the commercial music scene for the last 4 years, but his place is hardly in same halls of The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Prince, Marvin Gaye, Bob Marley or Elvis Presley (pick your era)... I think he's still got some proving to do. And if he thinks his job is done after 4 or 5 short years of being a household name, his light will end up burning out quicker than he can imagine.

Sorry Kanye, but as far as being the voice of my generation....
you gotta speak up a little louder to speak for me.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

@ "I realize that my place and position in history is that I will go down as the voice of this generation, of this decade, I will be the loudest voice... "

LOL. KANYE. He is just so damn cocky..I really like him too. He's a great artist and producer but he is just so incredibly full of himself. I went to his concert and he practically, no, he did, give a sermon afterwards about being so amazing and hated on and how he's hated on because he is just so awesome.

Chaotically Calm said...

Kanye must be smoking the same ish as Katt Williams (did you hear he was arrested in his bathrobe trying to check into a scuzzy a$$ motel). I mean I give him a nod for being original and adding some style to pant saggers around the world but the voice of a generation, excue me while I ROFLMAO. Please please please swallow that arrogance brotha it's not becoming.

Lotus B. said...

LOL!!! Thank you Faith, that was OH SO eloquently put!! He's obviously lost his mind in all the hype. His 80's sunglasses are on WAY too tight.

hee hee

DC DIVA DATING ADVENTURES said...

Yeah, honestly I can't stand him. His arrogance is too much. I like a confident man, but he's off the radar...now give me Prince anyday. Although he still wears eyeliner, high heeled boots and tight pants...he's a musical genius :)

Lotus B. said...

Amen to that! Prince could walk on stage wearing a Victoria's Secret nightie and still look masculine.

DC DIVA DATING ADVENTURES said...

LMAO...I'm at work...they probably think I'm crazy from laughing at that...I think I'm gonna have to listen to Purple Rain now....when I was in Jamaica on vacation, the lead singer of the house band began to sing Purple Rain...I almost threw my panties at him, then I realized they were Victoria's Secret & that isht is expensive, so I kept them on...Prince man, Prince....

Lotus B. said...

LMAO!!! For real, throw the Wal Mart panties, girl, not the Vickies!!